Fire Prevention Week
October 8 - 14, 2017
In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy.
That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan. Here’s this year’s key campaign messages:
- Draw a map of your home (PDF) with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
"Reproduced from NFPA's Fire Prevention Week website, www.firepreventionweek.org. © 2015 NFPA."
Fire prevention information and tips can be found on our website at www.chilliwack.com/fire, or contact us at 604.792.8713.
Fire safety is everyone’s responsibility so let’s work together to continue to make
Fire Safety Fair @ Canadian Tire – Saturday, October 14 (10am - 2pm)
Join your local firefighters at the Canadian Tire site. Sit in the trucks, try on some gear, watch the firefighters demonstrate their equipment, and more… don’t forget your camera!
Fire Trucks and Kids Workshop @ Home Depot – Saturday, October 14 (10am – 2pm)
Come out and see some of the Chilliwack Fire Department’s fire trucks and don't miss the Kids Workshop for lots of fun!
Open House – Yarrow Firehall only - Saturday, October 14 (10am - 2pm)
Join your local firefighters for a day of fun and activities. Tour the firehall, sit in the trucks, try on some gear, and more… don’t forget your camera!
Community Fire Drill – Wednesday, October 11 @ 6:30pm
When you hear the fire truck siren, test your smoke alarm and practice your home escape plan.
For more information on the fire prevention activities, contact us at 604.792.8713.
Great BC Shakeout - Drop, Cover, and Hold - October 19th @ 10:19 am